Thursday, January 17, 2008

LOLCATS

I feel as though I should post with some sort of insight, but my mind is blank.

I will soon be composing a post entitled "The Portrayal of Homosexuals in the Media", so you should tune in soon for that. Probably over the weekend, if I find enough evidence and other such things.

I would like to now speak of something that is sweeping the internet, that no one can explain. LOLCATS. For those of you unfamiliar with Lolcats, they are composed of two main elements.
1) A cute kitty in a weird situation or pose
2) A phrase usually in internet speak that makes this pose hilarious.
A common phrase used in lolcats is "I'm in your (blank), (blank)ing your (blank)". My personal favorite is "Im in ur fridge eating ur foodz". These cats are hilarious, but at the same time there is something so creepy about this. A cat, quite the innocent animal, transformed into this medium for some sort of message. (I know I said in the comments of my last post that I didn't want McLuhan references, but it works here!) I know ask those of you reading this to go onto google images and type in "lolcats". It will entertain and frighten you. While this is a great pass time for extreme boredom, you must think really of who came up with these, and what did they want you to get from it.
That was way too deep for frickin' Lolcats. I have been Tita'd!

Remember:
Im in ur bowl
Eatn ur ramen

EDIT: After looking at more Lolcats, I have realized. There is nothing to look into. They are just hilarious. No deep hidden message.

2 comments:

Jordan Gutlerner said...

Great. I should be reading dZ or preparing a lesson for next week, but I'm too distracted by the glory that is lolcats. If on Tuesday I bring pictures of cats and ask you guys to come up with the captions, I'm blaming it on you.

On a serious note, I'm looking forward to that next blog. That topic could be great for a presentation we may or may not do during second semester.

Erich said...

I'm gonna have to say that you're entirely wrong with the lolcatz being abused to front some kind of message. Even though you've retracted that statement, it's just... so wrong. Far too many things on the internet have no meaning at all. Here, some choice cats:
(Hm, no image embedding allowed. That's a shame)
Charisma!
Eeexcellent.
Revenge!
Peer review.
CANNIBALISM!